Discovered by Edouard M. Stephan in 1877, Stephan’s Quintet is the first compact group ever discovered. This portrait of Stephan’s Quintet, also known as Hickson Compact Group 92, was taken by the new Wide Field Camera 3 aboard NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope in 2009. Stephan’s Quintet, as the name implies, is a group of five galaxies. The name, however, is a bit of a misnomer. Studies have shown that group member NGC 7320(upper left) is actually a foreground galaxy about seven times closer to Earth than the rest of the group.
Three of the galaxies have distorted shapes, elongated spiral arms, and long, gaseous tidal tails containing myriad star clusters, proof of their close encounters. These interactions have sparked a frenzy of star birth in the central pair of galaxies. This drama is being played out against a rich backdrop of faraway galaxies.
The image, taken in visible and infrared light, showcases WFC3’s broad wavelength range. The colors trace the ages of the stellar populations, showing that star birth occurred at different epochs, stretching over hundreds of millions of years. The camera’s infrared vision also peers through curtains of dust to see groupings of stars that cannot be seen in visible light.
Sharply contrasting with these galaxies is the dwarf galaxy NGC 7320 at upper left. Bursts of star formation are occurring in the galaxy’s disk, as seen by the blue and pink dots. In this galaxy, Hubble can resolve individual stars, evidence that NGC 7320 is closer to Earth. NGC 7320 is 40 million light-years from Earth. The other members of the quintet reside 290 million light-years away in the constellation Pegasus.
- Excellent print quality with the Canon imagePROGRAF Pro4100 12 color inkjet printer for maximum sharpness and color reproduction quality,
- High UV resistance and long color fastness,
- Professional Solution photo paper that guarantees high-contrast images and deep blacks and provides excellent tone transitions. You can choose between smooth satin paper weighing 240 g/m2 (Poster) and matte, microporous paper weighing 290 g/m2 (Fine Art),
- Canvas prints are printed on 360 g/m2 on cotton-synthetic canvas, to the delivery destinations to Europe we send to you a framed canvas on wooden frame - ready for exhibit on your wall. For orders beyond Europe, we ship canvas prints as a rolled canvas in a transport tube(need additional framing).
- Environmentally friendly product – we use water-based inks from LUCIA PRO,
- Delivery of the prints (Fine Art and Poster prints) in a reusable, safe cardboard tube as rolled paper sheets. At every stage of the development of our products, we strive to remain environmentally conscious, by using as little plastic as possible and minimizing the amount of waste generated.
Image Credits: NASA, ESA
Our print is the perfect work of art for your interior. Find out more about our prints variants below - Fine Art, Poster and Canvas.
Product visualizations are just an example of the arrangement of our prints in interiors. Printouts are delivered in the form of sheets rolled into a transport tube without a frame.