In 2002 the Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS), the newest camera on NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, has captured a spectacular pair of galaxies engaged in a celestial dance of cat and mouse or, in this case, mouse and mouse. Located 300 million light-years away in the constellation Coma Berenices, the colliding galaxies have been nicknamed "The Mice" because of the long tails of stars and gas emanating from each galaxy. Otherwise known as NGC 4676, the pair will eventually merge into a single giant galaxy.
The image shows the most detail and the most stars that have ever been seen in these galaxies. In the galaxy at left, the bright blue patch is resolved into a vigorous cascade of clusters and associations of young, hot blue stars, whose formation has been triggered by the tidal forces of the gravitational interaction. Streams of material can also be seen flowing between the two galaxies.
The clumps of young stars in the long, straight tidal tail [upper right] are separated by fainter regions of material. These dim regions suggest that the clumps of stars have formed from the gravitational collapse of the gas and dust that once occupied those areas. Some of the clumps have luminous masses comparable to dwarf galaxies that orbit in the halo of our own Milky Way Galaxy.
The Image was reprocessed from the raw (Fits data) by the astrophotographer and founder of Cosmonity Michał Ostaszewski. The colors on the image are real (similar image we could see with the naked eyes if our eyes be capable to capture such a dim light), and come from more than 4 hours of exposure time done by HST.
- Excellent print quality with the Canon imagePROGRAF Pro4100 12 color inkjet printer for maximum sharpness and color reproduction quality,
- High UV resistance and long color fastness,
- Professional Solution photo paper that guarantees high-contrast images and deep blacks and provides excellent tone transitions. You can choose between smooth satin paper weighing 240 g/m2 (Poster) and matte, microporous paper weighing 290 g/m2 (Fine Art),
- Canvas prints are printed on 360 g/m2 on cotton-synthetic canvas, to the delivery destinations to Europe we send to you a framed canvas on wooden frame - ready for exhibit on your wall. For orders beyond Europe, we ship canvas prints as a rolled canvas in a transport tube(need additional framing).
- Environmentally friendly product – we use water-based inks from LUCIA PRO,
- Delivery of the prints (Fine Art and Poster prints) in a reusable, safe cardboard tube as rolled paper sheets. At every stage of the development of our products, we strive to remain environmentally conscious, by using as little plastic as possible and minimizing the amount of waste generated.
Data Credits: NASA, ESA
Image Processing: Michał Ostaszewski
Our print is the perfect work of art for your interior. Find out more about our prints variants below - Fine Art, Poster and Canvas.
Product visualizations are just an example of the arrangement of our prints in interiors. Printouts are delivered in the form of sheets rolled into a transport tube without a frame.